The Quick Message option
Quick Chat is a method of talking using pre-set messages. It was released on 21 May 2008. Jagex has stated on 9 February 2009 that Quick Chat was introduced to comply with legal responsibilities, and was not because they wanted players to stop using free chat. If a player uses a birthdate that is under the age of 13, that player is only allowed to use quick chat.
Quick Chat works by selecting from a database of messages. It also works using items, similar to the Grand Exchange item database - the user simply types an item name and it finds it from its list of items. This is the same with locations, food and monsters, as it has a database for each respectively.
Players can access Quick Chat in several ways:
- Clicking the Speech icon in the Chat Box
- Pressing the Enter Key with no text previously typed.
- Pressing the Enter Key twice consecutively if text has been previously typed.
- Pressing the Enter Key with the '/' typed to bring up Friend Quick Chat.
- Right-clicking on your name and selecting either Public or Clan Quick Chat.
Quick Chat is fast because it can be activated using keyboard shortcuts.
The current Quick Chat official world is World 96, as this is the only world where you can't chat freely. Many players use this world to get lots of raw items without competition.
This only works in certain places. Depending on where you are, there are pre-set messages just for you. Hit F10 to view these. The places in which context-sensitive chat works are:
Using the context-sensitive chat feature outside these areas will instead bring up the menu for the skill you last trained. Melee combat however used to always to bring up Attack, although this has now been fixed.
In addition to the Quick Chat update, the update also changed some of the previous keyboard shortcuts and introduced a new shortcut allowing the user to repeat the last Quick Chat message, along with other shortcuts.
- Enter - opens up Quick Chat if you aren't currently typing anything.
- (again) - opens the generic "search", where typing any word will search all possible combinations of the use of that word.