RuneScape Authenticator allows you to add an extra layer of security to your account using codes generated on your smartphone or tablet. However, if you don't have one of these devices, it is still possible to generate codes in a secure way on any Windows PC.
The instructions below are intended as guide only. Jagex is not responsible for the content of the application outlined below and players using it do so at their own risk.
- A USB flash drive with at least 10MB free space
- A Windows desktop or laptop PC with internet access
- This file: winauth.xml (right click -> "Save as") saved to the same folder on your USB stick
- Your RuneScape account login and password
- A validated email on your RuneScape account
Copy both files to your USB drive and run from there
Step 4: Add using the Google preset
Step 5: Set the account name
Step 9: Copy code from website to WinAuth
Step 11: Enter code from WinAuth into website
- Extract the WinAuth program from the zip file
- Drag and drop the WinAuth program and the XML file to the same folder on your USB stick
- Run WinAuth from the USB stick
- Click Add -> Google
- Give the account a name so you can remember what it is for in future
- Click "Set Up"
- Click "Code won't scan?"
- Copy the code from the page into the "Secret Code" box in WinAuth
- Click "Verify Authenticator"
- Enter the code that is displayed in WinAuth into the Authenticator set up page on the RuneScape website
- Click Finish on the website
- Click "OK" in WinAuth
At this point, WinAuth will ask if you want to add extra security to your WinAuth application. If you are sure that no one else will have access to your USB drive, you shouldn't need to enable these.
If you are planning to use WinAuth on different PCs then you must not enable the "Encrypt to only this computer" option
Set up complete
You now have a USB drive configured to generate codes for your RuneScape account.
Keep it in a safe place, as you will need it each time you log in to RuneScape on an untrusted PC.
It's probably best not to move, edit or modify the files in any way, to ensure codes continue to be generated.
Never share your USB stick or secret codes with anyone.
If you lose your USB stick, you will be able to reset the system the next time you try to log in to the game.
The system is reset by email. It is therefore very important to ensure your email account is secure. We recommend enabling a similar security system on your email account. Google Mail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail and Outlook.com all provide similar account security systems.
Each time you play RuneScape on an untrusted PC you will be prompted for an Authenticator code. Open WinAuth and enter the code that is displayed.
If you see "-" instead of a code, click the arrow to the right side of the window to generate a new code.