This template is being phased out. If you have found it, please remove it from the page.Below are the solutions to the most common problems that players purchasing membership with a Credit or Debit card experience. If you follow all the steps in the solution and are not able to resolve your problem please contact the Billing Team.
There are two key reasons why a payment will not be collected part way through an ongoing subscription.
- Your card has expired. If your card expires the information sent to your bank is incorrect and the payment will fail. You can update your expiry date by following the instructions further down this page.
- Your card has been declined by your bank. Your bank doesn't provide us with a reason for this. See further on in this page to find out more information about bank declines and what to do.
Occasionally, your attempt to make a payment will be declined. Don't worry, this is nothing to be concerned about.
When this situation occurs your bank may have reserved funds in advance for making the payment – please note that these could be displayed as ‘processed’ or ‘pending’ on your statement. Don’t worry, we won’t be taking those funds and they will be automatically returned by your card issuer once they are aware that we are not going to collect them. It can take between 5 – 10 working days for your card issuer to return the payment.
To help your payment succeed, please check the following things:
- Your bank allows payments to the United Kingdom.
- There is enough money in your account to cover the cost of membership.
- You have correctly entered the 16 digit card number correctly, including the 3 digit security CVV from the back of the card.
- You have correctly entered any address information as it is listed with the bank.
- You have correctly entered the 'Verified by Visa/MasterCard Secure Code' if your bank requests it.
- You have selected the correct country your card is registered to when you attempted the payment.
If none of the above points are the cause of your problem we recommend you contact your bank to see if the payment was declined by their security systems. If it wasn't, please Contact us for more help.
We do support a large number of Gift Cards - be careful though, as not all gift cards work online or in all countries. RuneScape is created and run from the United Kingdom, so it is worth checking to see if your card can be used here.