The character names interface.
The character names interfaces ingame.
What happens if you try to change your name before a month has passed.
A few other things can also be said about the new display names:
- Display Names are case sensitive. It will not capitalise the name and underscores are not replaced with spaces as they are in usernames. You may also use dashes (-) in your Display name.
- There is no way to swap names between accounts; Jagex wanted to discourage the possibility of 'name selling' by making it hard to transfer a name.
- Display Names are used for almost everything, such as entering player-owned houses, clan chats, etc.
- A player may enter the previous display name of a player to enter such places, provided the time limit for reclaiming the name has not expired.
- Attempting to change your display name while banned will give the message "You may not change your name while banned.".
- Attempting to change back to the previous name in the hero's tab would result in the message that it's still in use.
Prior to release
Display name icon from the Game Guide.
The display name updates were known about by players for a long time prior to the release. A Developer's Blog was published on August 27 by Mod Duncan.
It is also popular knowledge, due to a thread that stated that an update was not due on the week of release, that the update was accidental. Ironically, later that day, all players found themselves randomly disconnected from RuneScape on all worlds which could suggest that the last resort solution for Jagex had failed. This then forced Jagex into an early release of the subject.
If a user is inactive (has not been active in a while), their name will eventually become available as a display name if the following conditions are met:
- It hasn’t been logged into in the last year
- It hasn’t been used to purchase any membership
- It has no RuneScape skills of level 30 or above
Note: If you are a free player, you will retain your character name if you have logged into your account in the past year, or if you have any skills over level 30This is to free up names from inactive accounts for active users to be able to use for their account. Any players who choose to log into an inactive account that has had its name taken will be forced to change the name of the account before logging in.
The interface shown when one attempts to log in to an Inactive Account.
In the summer of 2014 Jagex announced that more character names will be freed up in batches of accounts that follow the following criteria:
- It has never had membership and it hasn't been logged into in the last 6 months
- It is a former member and it hasn't been logged into in the last 2 years
The first batch of names beginning with the letters A, B and C was released on 5 August.
- Accounts created on or later than 24 November 2010 use emails to log in rather than usernames. Prior to this, Character names were called Display names.