Firstly, this is a highly controversial and debated topic in the community with various people aligning with different opinions and there is alot of subjectivity when talking about this. Having said this my recommendation would be to try and play both versions of the game and choose which one you like the most.
I will quickly try and weigh up my personal pros and cons with both versions (it is also worthwhile to mention I play both versions of the game).
- Updated the most
- Modern day MMORPG with modern day aspects (easier to relate if your coming from another MMORPG).
- Easier to level and play with fasting training methods (this can either be seen as a pro or con)
- Higher level achievements (osrs missing beyond level 80 content in most cases, only just being implemented)
- Good PvM content
- More content than osrs (whether good or bad)
- Becoming more and more pay to win.
- Facing many problems in maintaining the longevity of the gamemode.
- Not for the Pker!
- Veteran feel
- Excellent if you want to get into runescape PvP (Pking)
- Pre-eoc combat style (argueably better in most cases other than PvM)